I hope you don’t get sick of this bean burger series because my friend Krista and I have created a list of about 20 more we have to make. I think the key to keeping them fresh here is to make a really tasty sauce to use as the condiment. The tzatziki was a big part of why the falafel burger was so successful.
We topped this one with fennel, spinach and tomatoes, which was a good combo, but feel free to add whatever makes you happy. These patties, like all the bean patties I have made come in at around 175 calories and they are full of fiber! Even Flat Paige (see below) loved them!
White Bean & Sage Burgers
1 can white kidney beans or other white variety, (1/2 of them mushed, 1/2 whole)
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup panko
1 bunch of fresh sage, chopped
1 carrot, grated
1/4 cup shallots, grated
1 clove, garlic, minced
salt & pepper to taste
1. Mash half of the beans and leave the other half whole. You want something to bite into.
2. Add the grated carrots, shallots and garlic to the mix. Add the egg and panko, then stir.
3. Add the sage, salt and pepper.
4. Form into patties and let sit in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes.
5. Grill on both sides until completely heated through.
6. Serve on a bun with fixings of your choice.